DETAILS OF OUR 1984 AVION 30R
- Installed new clear screen door slide
- Changed tail lights to double LED, removed backup light, Back up stand alone lights can be installed if desired
- Installed LED lights in nearly all interior fixtures except refrigarator
- The Dexter Adjust-A-Ride Suspension was the best ever installed on a towable rv. That suspension has been inproved
with a Dexter Axle (K71-359-00) Heavy Duty Suspension Kit = All new Wet bolts, Bronze Bushing, Equalizers, Shackle Link Assemblys, and
torgued to 50 lbs.
- Cleaned, repacked bearings, and installed new seals
- Checked all four brake assemblies. Brakes worked very well from South Dakota to Ohio
- Installed 5 new SENDEL T03 aluminum trailer wheels with black machined finish 16X6 (6/21/2017) (3580 max load)
- installed McGard 64010 Chrome Bulge Cone Seat Style Lug Nuts (1/2" - 20 Thread Size) torqued to 90 lbs.
- Installed 5 Michelin LTX MS/2 LT225/75/16 (19/17 DOT date) no miles yet
- Installed 4 Monroe 555001 Gas-Magnum 65 Shock Absorbers
- Installed new Stainless Steel Center Caps
- We purchased the trailer in South Dakota. The 30R was being used as a summer cabin at high altitude in South Dakota. The 30R pulled
like a dream from South Dakota to Ohio.
- July 16, 2017 we installed a new flooring surface. The flooring is Congoleum Airstep Advantage 88060 First Snowfall.
The original Avion flooring was in excellent condition but we did not like the color nor the pattern. We cleaned the
old surface before installing the new flooring. We removed the Tretford toilet as part of the install. The toilet
area and bathroom floor was solid and had no signs of toilet leaks in the past.
- We have relocated the sofa to the street side of the trailer. The fold down table has been moved to the front of the Avion.
- The rear bumper, steps, and propane cylinder holder will be removed, sandblasted, powder coated, and then reinstalled.
- The Avion has two 40 pound aluminum propane tanks with new valves.
- The six gallon propane water heater works as it should. Two new valves were installed to isolate the water heater during winterizing.
- The Avion has a Mr. Heater propane blue flame 20,000 BTU heater installed in the front of the living room. The heater is connected
via a flexible hose to the propane system making the heater moveable if desired. The factory installed Suburban furnace works.
- July 27, 2017 removed the original black and gray tank exterior rubber vent caps. Replaced with Danco 88182 Steel Mobile Home Plumbing Vent Cap.
New bug screens were placed in the Dancos.
- The roof has been cleaned and resealed with gray Eternabond roof sealant.
- Four new (October 20, 2017) Crown 6 volt 6CrRV220 AGM Deep Cycle Batteries have been installed under the door side twin bed. The batteries have
been connected in series/parellel yielding a 12 volt battery bank of 440 amps. 4/0 cable was used for the connections. There is 500 amp shunt in the
negative cable line. A 200 amp ANL fuse, in a Blue Seas Systems fuse holder with cover, and a Blue Seas Systems 350 amp on/off disconnect are in the
positive cable line.
- October 20, 2017 a Magnum MMS1012 1000 Watt 12 Volt Pure Sine Wave Inverter & 50 amp Charger was
installed next to the batteries. The positive and negative cabling is 4/0. The 120 current is carried via new 12/2 with
ground wire through a new Square D AC subpanel with 20 amp QO breaker to the Avion's AC wiring.
- A Magnum ME-RC50 Remote Control along with a Bogart Engineering TM-2030 have been installed in the end wall enclosing the refrigerator.
- Two Bogart Engineering SC-2030 12/24 Volts Solar Charge Controllers with remote battery
temperature sensor and a kit that allows for control of two SC-2030s by one TM-2030. The solar panels to be controlled are six 175 watt panels in a two
strings of three paralleled configuration. The seven solar panels (including the Kyocera) yield a total of 1185 watts.
- October 26, 2017 Six 175 watt
"hightec solar" solar panels arrived today to be installed on the Avion. A Kyocera 135 watt solar panel has been installed
as an awning over the rear window. The Kyocera is on it's own 10 amp Morningstar charge contoller helping charge the battery bank.
- Lynne has changed my mind about the solar install. I am now fixing three of the panels to be ground mount movable units on
30+ foot cables back to the controller rather than all six being roof mounted. With this arrangement the trailer can be in the shade and
still have the batteries charged by the ground mount solar panels.
- Drilled out the rivets securing the refrigerator vent cover. Removed all the caulk from past owners. Cleaned the area to the skin.
Resealed with Esternabond gray tape. Riveted the vent cover back in place.
- March 16, 2018 Installed three 120mm fans in the refrigerator. The fans are Artic F12's
and are located in front of the Aluminum cooling splines. The fans are on a switch.
- March 16, 2018 Installed Classic Accessories 80-221-152302-00 4-Pack RV Deluxe Wheel Covers For 26.75" - 29" Tire Diameter, White.
Had been using old sheets to protect the tires, but the sheets did not do well in big wind.
- March 22, 2018 Finished the remote solar panel frame install. Each of the three 175 watt panels has an end mounted triangular frame
adjusted at about 45 degrees when deployed. The next step will be installing a pair of 33 foot Ancor 6 gauge marine wires with SB50 SB Series
50 Amp Anderson Powerpole connectors.
The connectors will enter the Avion at the door side rearmost lower door just in front of the bumper. The Anderson's will terminate at two 100
amp Blue Sea Systems Common BusBars, one for positive and one for negative.
The two short BusBar cables will join the Bogart Engineering SC-2030
Solar Controller under the
twin bed where the batteries are located. The Anderson's offer very low current resistance and can not be connected wrong. The source and load side
connectors have SB50 Environmental Boots with Covers. The boots and covers offer moisture protection rated to IP64.
For those wondering, the remote panels will be carried in the truck until needed.
- June 18, 2018 Have four of the solar panels operating. The Kyocera 135 watt solar panel is tilted at a 45 degree angle
over the back window and feeding amps thru a 10 amp Morningstar charge contoller.
The three 175 ground mount panels are providing amps via a Bogart Engineering SC-2030 12 Volt Solar Charge Controller. The charge controller
is controller by a TM-2030 meter.
- The Pioneer 12,000 BTU mini split air conditioner/hear pump has arrived. I have removed the propane tanks, batteries, and propane
from the tongue. As soon as I can get the tongue sanded and coated with
Por-15, Lynne and I will install the unit in the living room. This will be our third install of this unit. We installed two units in our home.
Our RV air conditioner works well but is very noisy. The install is a quality of life issue. The unit is silent and should be able to run with our
solar system on a good
sun day and on not good sun days, it can be powered by our one Honda 2000i generator.
- June 23, 2018 Installed circuit breakers (Bussmann CB185-40 Surface-Mount Circuit Breakers, 40 Amps) on the positive and negetive cables
to the Bogart Engineering SC-2030. The max amps from the three panels on the SC-2030 is about 28 amps on perfect sun.
- July 3, 2018 Removed the full width partical board shelf under the front window. Lynne made a copy of the original out of character grade red
oak using her kreg pocket hole jeg. Lynne sanded the new shelf and gave the first coat of stain today. We should have the new shelf reinstalled by
- July 15, 2018 Removed the full length partical board support under the sofa. Replaced the support with a #2 stained solid pine board.
The original support board was flaking at the three points of contact.
- July 16, 2018 Lynne designed and built a support out of stained character grade red oak for the new mini split. We checked for fit today. Later,
Lynne will make a new table top of the same material. The table will be installed under the front shelf and enclosed in
a new cabinet at the end of the sofa.
- August 26, 2018 Put the first 175 watt solar panel on the top of the 30R. I was having problems with the design because of the curved roof.
Lynne and I figured out what needed to be done to allow the support feet to lay flat. I will finish the other two panels and install them this next week.
The weather is supposed to be cooler making life much better on top of the Avion. Note: The actual solar system is functioning perfectly with the three
ground mounted panels and the rear mounted Kyocera 135 providing amps to the batteries for a 100% charge each day.
- August 26, 2018 Lynne ordered "Tundra Blackout Cork 21809" from Blinds.com Signature Natural Blackout Roller Shade for the bath, kitchen, and two side
windows in the living room.
- August 28, 2018 Lynne finished setting up our Pfaff 145 industrial sewing machine. Six inch "sheet foam medium HR 3127" foam has arrived, along with the new Sunbrella
"canvas coal" Sunbrella marine fabric. In the next few days Lynne will make new cushions for the sofa.
- September 8, 2018 We have lovely new cushions for the sofa.
- September 9, 2018 The Signature Natural Blackout Roller Shades have arrived. We installed one set to see if everything worked as expected. It
looks like they will function as expected. We will make surface mounted wooden side channels for along the vertical edge of the shades.
- September 10, 2018 Avion trailers were sold as four season RVs. If you will be using the 30R in the winter for a skiing condo on wheels, we can design
and make a skirt for the 30R for the cost of time and materials. A skirt makes the Avion very livable down to -20 degrees or so. There are some pictures of
the skirt we had on our 34 XB on this page.
- September 18, 2018 Lynne and I removed the medicine cabinet and installed a new roller shade in the bathroom. A word of warning, that is a mean job.
The cabinet has five hidden screws holding it in place. I would suggest using an awl to find the holes in the cabinet. The new blackout roller shade looks great
and works great.
- September 17, 2018 Lynne is reinstalling the curtain track in the bedroom. The past owner had removed it. The original curtains were in a drawer.
She is reinstalling the found curtains, but Lynne may make new curtains later.
- September 19, 2018 I installed the Pioneer mini split indoor unit today. I will start installing the copper tomorrow.
- October 19, 2018 We had guests stay in the 30R a couple of weeks ago. It was a cool night. The furnace worked very well.
- October 19, 2018 I have not posted for about a month. During this time, we have accomplished several items. Lynne installed her four
door cabinet for the TV lift. We installed a new 43 inch Samsung UHDTV in the lift. I installed the new bathroom sink and faucet. I painted the
tongue of the 30R with Por-15. I then sprayed two coats of Por Top Coat over the Por-15 for sun protection. New running lights arrived yesterday. I will
remove the old ones and install the new ones this week. The week is forecast to be wonderful fall weather. I changed out the original light fixture in the bedroom
for a new led double fixture. The original fixture's switch only worked part of the time. All interior lights are now LEDs.
- We have tried to make the trailer as camp ready as possible. You can take it camping, to BLM's Imperial Dam LTVA
north of Yuma for the winter, or to Alaska next year.
- We have a clear Ohio title and the trailer is currently licensed in Ohio.
- We can deliver the trailer anywhere in the USA for $2.00 per loaded mile plus tolls.
DETAILS OF OUR 1984 AVION 30R
- Our 30R is the rear twin bed configuration
- All the sheets, mattrace covers, blankets, and bed spreads are new.
- The Avion has a side bath with shower.
- A new sink and facet has been installed. The original sink was scratched.
- The kitchen has a microwave, three way refrigerator (Dometic RM1303 AES, AES means Automatic Energy Selector), pantry, stove, and double sink
- The refrigerator works correctly on propane and 120 electric
- The living area has a sofa that makes into a queen bed if desired
- The living area includes a hidden smart 42 inch flat screen TV on a lift and a DVD player
- Nearly all lights are LEDs
- The 30R has a 65 gallon fresh water tank, a 40 gallon gray water tank, and a 30 gallon black water tank.
- The trailer comes with a Reese Hitch set up.
- Note: We pull the 1984 Avion 30R with a 2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins. The truck's computer
showed 20.3 mpg average pulling the trailer on a 1200 mile trip.
No pictures have been posted yet. These are from our 1990 34XB. I am just using the code.